The city's Department of Health is asking New Yorkers with creative juices to help design a special limited-edition package for the Big Apple's line of condoms, scheduled to come out next fall.
All New York City residents, 17 years and older, can submit an original design that captures the city's unique culture while promoting safe sex practices.
Dr. Thomas Farley, New York City Health Commissioner, said he wants to get New Yorkers "excited" about using condoms.
"We now give away more than 40 million condoms a year," he said.
A panel of judges will select qualifying finalists in the first round. The artworks will then be displayed on the Health Department's website and the NYC Condom's Facebook page for New Yorkers to vote for the winner.
The deadline for the competition is January 22.
Summary of Select Contest Rules and Regulations
* You must be a resident of New York City and 17 years of age or older to be eligible to participate in the contest.
* Applicants under 18 must obtain written consent from a parent or guardian, and submit along with their entry. Consent forms can be found online along with the entry at nyc.gov/condoms.
* Only one design entry per eligible person will be accepted. Duplicate entries and entries by groups will be discarded.
* Employees of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Ansell, members of the NYC Condom Wrapper Contest judging panel or any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliates, and their families, are not eligible to participate.
* Entries should be uploaded on the Health Department's website or mailed to New York City Department of Health and Mental HygieneBureau of HIV/AIDS Prevention and ControlATTN: Director of Condoms and Materials Distribution40 Worth Street, CN-A/2, Room 1602New York, NY 10013
* Artwork submitted via postal mail must be in an 8 ½ by 11 inch format. Artwork uploaded on the Health Department's website should be a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and 11 ½ by 11 ½ inches in size for possible display purposes.
* All artwork must be original. Copyrighted or trademarked images such as those of the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty cannot be included unless legal permission to use the image, satisfactory to the Health Department, is submitted.
For more information: City's Health Dept. webpage.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun