The Martins bought the mill "as is" with much of the original equipment still sitting on vacant upper floors, and the explosion-proof windows remain intact.
As for the silos, the Martins had a designer draw up plans for a 59-room hotel.
The Historic Sunshine Mill, 901 E. Second St. Tasting room open daily noon-6 p.m. with later hours on Fridays and Saturdays and some Thursdays. Wine, beer, limited food menu. Call 541-298-8900 or see http://www.sunshinemill.com.
ANZAC TEA PARLOUR
A tea room serving cucumber sandwiches and scones isn't where you'd expect to find cattle ranchers lunching. But the Anzac Tea Parlour takes its name from a chewy oat and coconut cookie popular with the Australia-New Zealand Army Corps in World War I, and owner Bev Eagy bakes them in the home of a former Northwest cattle king.
Rancher Ben Snipes acquired 125,000 head of cattle and 20,000 horses, enough to earn him a place in the Cowboy Hall of Fame. In 1865, he built the yellow frame house on a shady residential street where Eagy and her husband, Alan, raised their family.
Eagy, who lived in Australia for 20 years, started out making her Anzac biscuits in a kitchen of the local community college. Now she throws an apron over her nightgown and goes to work by the glow of an Irish stove in what was her family room.
A collection of vintage hats and china cups decorates the former living room where guests choose among 100 teas and snack on homemade lemon scones.
Plans are to expand soon into another historic building, the 1868 home of Victor Trevitt, a legislator and town dandy. The Eagys bought the house at a city auction for $7 and moved next door.
Anzac Tea Parlour, 218 W. Fourth St. 100 teas, homemade scones, sandwiches and salads. Call 541-296-5877 or see http://www.anzactea.com.
THE BALDWIN SALOON
Part fine-art museum, part saloon, the Baldwin reflects the tastes of owners Mark and Tracy Linebarger, who bought the building when it was a saddle shop and restored it to look much the way it did in 1876 when the Baldwin brothers, James and John, catered to railroad and river workers rather than tourists.
Covering the brick walls are 19th-century oils depicting the Columbia Gorge and Northwest scenes painted by landscape artist Joseph J. Englehart. The nude above the mahogany backbar came from the Hoyt Hotel in Portland.
"The Dalles has a lot of hidden history," says the Clock Tower's Mark Powell.
A living example is Caroline Homer, 78, who's been playing an 1894 Schubert piano at the Baldwin every Friday and Saturday night for 20 years, except when she goes elk hunting.
The piano sits perched on a ledge above the tables, and reaching it requires climbing a slatted ladder. Ask permission to come up, and she's happy to share her secret for a long and happy life.
"Exercise. Eat healthy and drink a little wine."
The Baldwin Saloon, First and Court streets. Freshly ground burgers, salads, steaks, 12 homemade desserts. Call 541-296-5666 or see http://www.baldwinsaloon.com.