If you -- or the kids -- feel like you just gotta get out and really move, try this selection of skateparks, ice rinks and recreation and game centers. Activities range from go-karts and batting cages to video games and rock climbing.
1. Palm Beach SkateZone -- 8125 Lake Worth Road, Lake Worth; 561-963-5900. Web site: SkateZone. Indoor, twin-rink complex; public skating, pro shop, snack bar, video arcade and more.
2. Boomer's Recreation Center -- 3100 Airport Road just north of Glades Road and east of I-95, Boca Raton; 561-347-1888. Web site: Boomersparks.com. Game room, children's playland, batting cages, race track, bumper boats, miniature golf, laser tag and rock climbing. Hours: noon to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday; noon to midnight, Friday and Saturday; summer hours begin at 10 a.m.
Also at 1801 NW First St., Dania Beach; 954-921-1411. Go-karts, bumper cars, arcades, mini-golf and batting cages, as well as Naskart racing and Sky Coaster. Open 365 days. Hours: 10 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday through Saturday. Admission: Free. Unlimited video games on Tuesdays for $12.
3. Quiet Waters Skatepark -- Quiet Waters Park, 401 S. Powerline Road, Deerfield Beach, 954-360-1315. Web site: Skatepark online. Features 20,000 square feet with a Skatelite Pro surface, more than 102 ramps and grind rails, concession stand and a pro shop. Open to skateboarding, in-line skating, and BMX biking (Saturdays and Thursdays). Hours vary; protective gear and liability release required. Fees: per session, $3 members, $7 nonmembers; all-day access, $5 members/$13 nonmembers.
4. Ramp 48 Plus 6290 NW 27 Way, Fort Lauderdale, 954-782-RAMP. The park is indoor with air conditioning. There is a mini ramp, handrails, ledges, bank ramps, quarter pipes, pyramids and launch ramps. On Tuesday nights fro 7-8:30p.m., they have a christian skaters Bible study and skaters who attend can skate for free after. Rates: $5 for all day pass. Hours: Summer Session hours: Monday though Friday 10a.m.-5: 30p.m., Saturday from 9:00a.m. to 11:00p.m. Sunday 1p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
5. IncredibleICE -- 3299 Sportsplex Drive off Sample Road, (near Sawgrass Expressway's Sample Road exit), 954-341-9956. Web site: www.incredibleice.com. Twin rinks, Breakaway Bar & Grill, snack bars, pro shop, off-ice training center; video arcade, birthday parties; open 5:30 a.m.-2 a.m. Public skating: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m; Wednesday: 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Friday: 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturday noon to 11 p.m.; and Sunday noon to 3 p.m. Rates: $3-$7.
6. Dania Beach Hurricane Roller Coaster -- 1760 NW First Street, Between Stirling and Griffin roads, Dania Beach; 954-921-2433. One of the biggest wooden roller coasters south of Atlanta, the ride is 100 feet tall and 3,200 feet long, traveling up to 55 miles per hour for the two-minute ride. Hours: Sunday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets: $6.25 per ride or $12 for an unlimeted pass. Minimum rider height requirement 48 inches.
7. Galaxy Hot Wheels -- 3737 N. Davie Road Extension, Davie, 954-435-3300; also at 7500 Southgate Boulevard, North Lauderdale, 954-721-0580. Web site: www.skatingcenters.com. Light shows; DJ; Kid, teen, and adult skates as well as family and christian nights, all-Day and all-night skates. Private parties, birthday parties, skating lessons. Call hours and fees, as they vary.
8. Dave & Buster's -- 3000 Oakwood Boulevard, Hollywood; 954-923-5505. Web site: http://www.daveandbusters.com/. A huge sports bar/family restaurant with billiards, video games, virtual reality and lots of TVs for sports. Hours: 11:30 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Wednesday; 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.
9. GameWorks -- In the Sawgrass Mills mall, Oasis section, Sawgrass Expressway and Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunrise, 954-845-8740. Web site: www.gameworks.com. Combines restaurant, bar and interactive games. Attractions include virtual roller coasters, video games including Jurassic Park: The Lost World; the Virtual Arena; Indy 500; Dance Dance Revolution; the Ford Racing Zone; the Max Flight VR2002 Roller Coaster, a full-motion simulator, as well as Centipede, PacMan and Asteroids. Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday.
Also in Miami, in The Shops at Sunset Place, 5701 Sunset Drive, 57th Street and US 1, South Miami; 305-667-4263. On the Web: www.gameworks.com.
10. Kabooms Amusement & Party Center -- 9130 SR 84, Davie; 954-452-2800. Web site: www.kabooms.com. Laser tag, whirlyball, roller skating, roller hockey, paintball shooting gallery. Hours: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday; 10 a.m. to midnight on Sunday.
Can't get away? Take a day trip
From West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale to Miami, recreation centers offer skating, video games, miniature golf and a variety of amusements.
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.