If you -- or the kids -- feel like you just gotta get out and really move, try this selection of skateparks, ice rinks and recreation and game centers. Activities range from go-karts and batting cages to video games and rock climbing.
1. Palm Beach SkateZone -- 8125 Lake Worth Road, Lake Worth; 561-963-5900. Web site: SkateZone. Indoor, twin-rink complex; public skating, pro shop, snack bar, video arcade and more.
2. Boomer's Recreation Center -- 3100 Airport Road just north of Glades Road and east of I-95, Boca Raton; 561-347-1888. Web site: Boomersparks.com. Game room, children's playland, batting cages, race track, bumper boats, miniature golf, laser tag and rock climbing. Hours: noon to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday; noon to midnight, Friday and Saturday; summer hours begin at 10 a.m.
Also at 1801 NW First St., Dania Beach; 954-921-1411. Go-karts, bumper cars, arcades, mini-golf and batting cages, as well as Naskart racing and Sky Coaster. Open 365 days. Hours: 10 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday through Saturday. Admission: Free. Unlimited video games on Tuesdays for $12.
3. Quiet Waters Skatepark -- Quiet Waters Park, 401 S. Powerline Road, Deerfield Beach, 954-360-1315. Web site: Skatepark online. Features 20,000 square feet with a Skatelite Pro surface, more than 102 ramps and grind rails, concession stand and a pro shop. Open to skateboarding, in-line skating, and BMX biking (Saturdays and Thursdays). Hours vary; protective gear and liability release required. Fees: per session, $3 members, $7 nonmembers; all-day access, $5 members/$13 nonmembers.
4. Ramp 48 Plus 6290 NW 27 Way, Fort Lauderdale, 954-782-RAMP. The park is indoor with air conditioning. There is a mini ramp, handrails, ledges, bank ramps, quarter pipes, pyramids and launch ramps. On Tuesday nights fro 7-8:30p.m., they have a christian skaters Bible study and skaters who attend can skate for free after. Rates: $5 for all day pass. Hours: Summer Session hours: Monday though Friday 10a.m.-5: 30p.m., Saturday from 9:00a.m. to 11:00p.m. Sunday 1p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
5. IncredibleICE -- 3299 Sportsplex Drive off Sample Road, (near Sawgrass Expressway's Sample Road exit), 954-341-9956. Web site: www.incredibleice.com. Twin rinks, Breakaway Bar & Grill, snack bars, pro shop, off-ice training center; video arcade, birthday parties; open 5:30 a.m.-2 a.m. Public skating: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m; Wednesday: 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Friday: 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturday noon to 11 p.m.; and Sunday noon to 3 p.m. Rates: $3-$7.
6. Dania Beach Hurricane Roller Coaster -- 1760 NW First Street, Between Stirling and Griffin roads, Dania Beach; 954-921-2433. One of the biggest wooden roller coasters south of Atlanta, the ride is 100 feet tall and 3,200 feet long, traveling up to 55 miles per hour for the two-minute ride. Hours: Sunday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets: $6.25 per ride or $12 for an unlimeted pass. Minimum rider height requirement 48 inches.
7. Galaxy Hot Wheels -- 3737 N. Davie Road Extension, Davie, 954-435-3300; also at 7500 Southgate Boulevard, North Lauderdale, 954-721-0580. Web site: www.skatingcenters.com. Light shows; DJ; Kid, teen, and adult skates as well as family and christian nights, all-Day and all-night skates. Private parties, birthday parties, skating lessons. Call hours and fees, as they vary.
8. Dave & Buster's -- 3000 Oakwood Boulevard, Hollywood; 954-923-5505. Web site: http://www.daveandbusters.com/. A huge sports bar/family restaurant with billiards, video games, virtual reality and lots of TVs for sports. Hours: 11:30 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Wednesday; 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.
9. GameWorks -- In the Sawgrass Mills mall, Oasis section, Sawgrass Expressway and Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunrise, 954-845-8740. Web site: www.gameworks.com. Combines restaurant, bar and interactive games. Attractions include virtual roller coasters, video games including Jurassic Park: The Lost World; the Virtual Arena; Indy 500; Dance Dance Revolution; the Ford Racing Zone; the Max Flight VR2002 Roller Coaster, a full-motion simulator, as well as Centipede, PacMan and Asteroids. Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday; 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday.
Also in Miami, in The Shops at Sunset Place, 5701 Sunset Drive, 57th Street and US 1, South Miami; 305-667-4263. On the Web: www.gameworks.com.
10. Kabooms Amusement & Party Center -- 9130 SR 84, Davie; 954-452-2800. Web site: www.kabooms.com. Laser tag, whirlyball, roller skating, roller hockey, paintball shooting gallery. Hours: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday; 10 a.m. to midnight on Sunday.
Can't get away? Take a day trip
From West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale to Miami, recreation centers offer skating, video games, miniature golf and a variety of amusements.
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.