1. Island Beach State Park With its remote white sandy shores, the park has some of the few remaining undeveloped barrier beaches on the North Atlantic coastline. The park is home to rarely seen maritime plants, wildlife and ecosystems. Go to islandbeachnj.org.
2. The Lobster Shanty Conveniently perched aside commercial lobster and fishing boats on the Manasquan River, the restaurant offers awesome aquatic panoramas. Entrees from $15.95. (Channel Drive, Point Pleasant Beach, 732-899-6700, jackbakerslobstershanty.com)
3. Joe Leone's This Italian food market is a favorite spot to purchase sandwiches to take to the beach or aboard boats. (400 Route 35 South, Point Pleasant, 732-701-0001, joeleones.com)
4. Boating on Barnegat Bay The bay is an estuary of about 75 square miles that has a long commercial fishing history and is also popular for recreational boating.
5. Ortley Fish Market Miller buys fresh catch for the grill here. (1905 Route 35 North, Ortley Beach, 732-793-1337)
If you go: Jayne's Jersey favorites
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.