In Indiana, this is usually just a day to cover college basketball, and oh by the way, mention some guys who signed to play college football. That is beginning to change with more and more IHSAA players showing obvious Division One talent. The state is quickly becoming fertile recruiting grounds for both the local schools and some of the premiere programs across the country.
- Photos: College Football
As we take a look back at the day that is so important to teams' futures, let us analyze the local winners and losers from the 2009 version of National Signing Day.
- Jelani Alford, rb, 5-9, 175 Withrow HS, Cincinnati
- David Brown, rb, 5-10, 195 Shelbyville (Ind.) HS
- Otis Brown, wr, 5-9, 165, Gainesville (Fla.) HS
- Ethan Buckles, de, 6-7, 220, Cardinal Ritter HS, Indianapolis
- Justin Cruz, lb, 5-11, 198, Felming Island HS, Green Cove Springs, Fla.
- Armand Dehaney, cb, 5-8, 177, Walsh Jesuit HS, Maple Heights, Ohio
- Theon Dixon Jr., lb, 5-11, 190, Glenville HS, Cleveland
- Zane Fakes, te, 6-3, 235, Plainfield (Ind.) HS
- Travis Freeman, lb, 6-0, 212, Glenville HS, Cleveland
- Jacob Green, te, 6-3, 238 Wyoming (Ohio) HS
- Donovan Jarrett, dl, 6-2, 300, Hamilton (Ohio) HS
- Brandon Kish, rb, 5-11, 205, Steele HS, Amherst, Ohio
- Keith Langtry, wr, 6-1, 180, Rockhurst HS, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Tony Martin, lb, 6-1, 205, Central HS, Park Hills, Mo.
- Aaron Mershman, qb, 6-2, 210, Bowling Green (Ohio) HS
- Evan Neff, ol, 6-4, 255, Archbishop Alter HS, Centerville, Ohio
- Kitt O'Brien, ol, 6-6, 300, Lewis Cass HS, Walton, Ind.
- Matthew Page, ol, 6-6, 300, Central HS, East Chicago, Ind.
- Jason Pinkston, cb, 6-2, 180, Glenville HS, Cleveland
- Connor Ryan, wr, 6-1, 185, St. Ignatius HS, Westlake, Ohio
- Seth White, wr, 5-10, 185, Bexley (Ohio) HS
- Eric Williams, rb, 5-10, 200, Warren Central HS, Indianapolis
Not only did the Cardinals have the best season of any in-state school in 2008, they are laying the groundwork to keep from being a one-hit wonder. The above average grade does not mean they are getting better talent than their in-state brethren, it simply means they are succeeding against their competition, and setting themselves up for future success.
Brady Hoke is regarded by many as a great recruiter and a good coach. He gradually built Ball State into a championship team and had worked hard to find capable talent to keep the train rolling.
A great indicator that new coach Stan Parrish is off to a successful start is that all 18 players who verbally committed to play for Hoke at Ball State stayed true to their word and are packing their bags for Muncie. You would think at least a couple would follow Hoke to the sunshine to play for San Diego State.
However, credit Parrish for keeping those recruits on-board and for adding three more. Keep an eye on the running back duo of David Brown (Shelbyville) and Zane Fakes (Plainfield). Both were touchdown machines in high school, and I could see Parrish utilizing them as a two-headed monster in the BSU backfield after all-everything running back MiQuale Lewis graduates.
It is impossible to say how many of these 22 future Cardinals will be stars, but BSU seems well positioned to compete for future MAC West titles.
GRADE: B +
- Lawrence Barnett, db, 5-10, 180, Luers HS, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Ted Bolser, te, 6-5, 230, Indian Hill HS, Cincinnati
- Dimitrius Carr, lb, 6-1, 205, Mount Carmel HS, Calumet City, Ill.
- Charlie Chapman, ol, 6-6, 275, Airport HS, South Rockwood, Mich.
- Jamonne Chester, wr, 6-1, 195, Redford Covenant HS, Detroit
- Javon Cornley, dl, 6-5, 220, Northland HS, Columbus, Ohio
- Griffen Dahlstrom, fb-lb, 6-3, 210, North Putnam HS, Coatesville, Ind.
- Mitch Ewald, k, 5-10, 165, Waubonsie Valley HS, Naperville, Ill.
- Dusty Kiel, qb, 6-2, 220, Columbus (Ind.) East HS
- Pat McShane, ol, 6-5, 280, Stow (Ohio) Walsh Jesuit HS
- Aaron Price, ol, 6-4, 285, Bloomington (Ind.) South HS
- Adam Replogle, dl, 6-3, 270, Centerville (Ohio) HS
- Colin Rodkey, ol, 6-4, 270, Gateway HS, Monroeville, Pa.
- Damon Sims, lb, 6-3, 220, Colerain HS, Cincinnati
- Nick Turner, rb, 6-0, 185, Southport HS, Indianapolis
- Duwyce Wilson, wr, 6-3, 190, Columbus (Ind.) East HS
- Edward Wright-Baker, qb, 6-1, 205, Jeffersonville (Ind.) HS
- Nick Zachery, db, 6-1, 200, Sheridan (Ind.) HS