Added some cool stories today including:
- Dave Matthews playing with the Richmond Symphony (02-14)
- Gov. George Allen vs. Jimmy Johnson (02-27)
- NASCAR fans upset over losing the Winston Cup name (09-07)
Created: July 28, 2009 5:46 PM
In this look back at 1995 you will see stories about local politics, economic development and celebrity among other things.
This collection begins with a look at Rep. Tom Bliley (01-03). Several months earlier was the "Republican Revolution" in which GOPers took control of the U.S. House of Representatives. Bliley, a longtime Virginia republican, was given added powers to help with the Republican transition.
Other highlights include:
- A young Tim Kaine voting on the Ashe statue (07-17)
- A report on the death of Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia (08-09) which includes concert footage from his 1993 show at the Richmond Coliseum. A show a teenage version of me attended with my younger brother.
Also be sure to check out how 1995 development plans have panned out for Richmond's Riverfront (05-09), Shockoe Bottom (01-13) and New Kent County (01-10).
In the celebrity world we have 1995 interviews with Charlie Sheen (6-12) and Kato Kaelin (06-08). Plus a press conference with Danna Reeve (06-09).