MANCHESTER - A 29-year-old man awaiting trial on charges that he held a woman down last June and threatened her with a knife is in police custody this morning after, police said, he repeatedly stabbed a woman with a pair of scissors.

The 21-year-old woman was rushed to Hartford Hospital, where she underwent surgery. She was in critical condition, said Manchester police Lt. Chris Davis.

Manchester police Officer Jason Wagner took the alleged attacker, Edward Leonard, 29, into custody at gunpoint only moments after police were called to the Clock Tower Mill Apartments, 158 Forest St., at 8:20 p.m. for a reported domestic dispute.

"When the first officer arrived the suspect was still holding her down, had he scissors in one hand, her in the other and was ready to stab her again," said Lt. Chris Davis, head of the Manchester police detective bureau.

Wagner drew his pistol and ordered Leonard to drop the knife, Davis said. Leonard complied.

The woman was stabbed so many times police were unable to tell how many wounds there were, Davis said. The woman and Leonard were covered with blood.

A man suffered a superficial wound to an arm when he went to the woman's aid, Davis said.

Leonard suffered a minor hand wound and was at Manchester Memorial Hospital early today, Davis said. Leonard was also undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.

There were about half a dozen witnesses to the attack who provided police with statements about what they saw and heard, Davis said. Detectives were also applying or a search warrant early today to enable them to collect evidence inside apartment 716, where the incident began as an argument, Davis said.

The assault apparently moved out of the apartment and into a common area where blood was still evident on the carpet. Police has cordoned off the area with yellow crime scene tape and two officers were standing guard until detectives returned with the search warrant.

When Leonard is released from the hospital he'll be charged with attempted murder, first-degree assault, first-degree unlawful restraint and second-degree assault. The second-degree assault charge is for attacking the person who tried to intervene, Davis said.

Bail will be $1 million and Leonard will got to court Tuesday in Manchester.

Vernon police arrested Leonard in May and again in June on a host of charges, including three counts off first-degree kidnapping, first-degree unlawful restraint, first-degree reckless endangerment, risk of injury to a child and threatening. In one of those cases he held down a 25-year-old woman and threatened her with a pocketknife, Vernon police said early today. Leonard posted $50,500 bail in both cases, with the assistance of a bondsman, and is awaiting trial on those charges at Superior Court in Rockville.