Corned Beef & Cabbage
- 4 pounds raw corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 pound Giant brand large carrots - cut into 4 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Giant brand new potatoes
- 1 cup Giant chopped leek, white and light-green parts cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 pounds Giant green or Savoy cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup horseradish, drained
- 1/3 cup Giant sour cream
- Place the corned beef in a large slow cooker and scatter the pickling spices on the top.
- Layer the carrots, potatoes, and the leek in the cooker (in this order for even cooking).
- Add enough hot water (4 to 5 cups) to cover the meat by at least 1 inch, put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low, 4-5 hours.
- Remove the meat and the vegetables from the slow cooker and keep warm.
- Put the cabbage in a microwave-safe dish with 2 cups of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker, cover and microwave until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Boil another cup of the cooking liquid in a small skillet until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Mix with the horseradish and the sour cream in a small bowl.
- Slice the corned beef and serve with the slow-cooked vegetables, cabbage and sauce.