Nassau County's "Wall of Shame" returned Thursday to the county Web site in a much slimmed-down version, this time including the names only of people who have been convicted -- not merely accused -- of drunken driving.

The revival of the wall includes the names and photos of 113 people who have been convicted of drunken and/or drugged driving offenses since Memorial Day weekend. It comes three weeks after County Executive Thomas Suozzi pulled it down following a judge's decision that the wall violated the rights of a woman whose name and photo were posted there.

Suozzi said he removed the names of defendants who had not been convicted to protect the county from a torrent of lawsuits. However, he said he remains convinced that posting the names and photos of drunken drivers is a significant deterrent, and he plans to appeal State Supreme Court Justice William LaMarca's decision. Drunken driving arrests are up 6 percent since this time last year, police officials have said.

"My objective has always been to get people to talk more about drunk driving, and to recognize that it's not a socially acceptable crime," Suozzi said Thursday.

Brian Griffin, the Garden City attorney who challenged the Wall of Shame on behalf of his client Alexandra Bursac, 27, of Plainview, said he thinks posting even convicted drunken drivers is wrong.

"Under current law in the state of New York, shaming is not a permissible punishment, either pre-conviction or post conviction," he said. "It is a matter of time before this, too, is challenged, and ultimately it will come down."

Griffin cited a 1995 state Court of Appeals decision that found it was improper to force a drunken driver with multiple convictions to display a license plate frame that said, "Convicted DWI." Griffin said it's fine to punish convicted drunken drivers, but the county should do so within the bounds of the law.

Suozzi said shaming people is not his objective.

"This is not about punishment. This is about educating people about drunk driving," Suozzi said. "This is all public information."

The county began posting the mug shots after a police officer who had stopped one suspected drunken driver on the Long Island Expressway was hit and seriously injured by what police said was a second drunken driver.