In celebration of National Family Game Night, which is Wednesday, September 28. Hasbro is encouraging families across the country to rally together and take a break from busy schedules to spend a fun-filled night playing games, sharing stories and creating lasting memories. Lifestyle Expert Ereka Vetrini was here with tips to make game nights a family tradition.
The best reason to host a Family Game Night is to have fun! Other benefits such as family bonding, learning opportunities and life skill development also come along with the good times shared over Family Game Nights.Below are a few tips to help you get started on creating this special tradition. Call the family together and gather around a Hasbro game for a great night in!
1.Schedule it!: Decide in advance which day will be your Family Game Night. It doesn't matter which night of the week you choose any night will do! As long as the date is marked on a calendar that everyone can see and parents make it a priority to keep the appointment, the night will be one to remember! Use stickers or a colored marker to help make the family game night dates stand out on the calendar.
2. Involve everyone in the planning: Involve the whole family in the planning process by allowing the kids to pick the games or choose the snacks. For variety, rotate responsibilities during each Family Game Night.
3. Game suggestions: Be sure to pick games that are age-appropriate for all family members so that everyone can participate. For an active family, BOP-IT! XT or CONNECT 4 LAUNCHERS are great options. For a laugh-out-loud time, families might want to try SCRABBLE ALPHABET SCOOP or TABOO. For families that thrive on competition, try the new SCRABBLE TURBO SLAM or MONOPOLY: Electronic Banking Edition.
4. Fun food "pairings": A special Family Game Night menu will make everyone look forward to the festivities. Serve fun finger foods that are easy to eat during game play, such as hamburger sliders or chicken fingers. A make-your-own sundae bar is a sweet treat for dessert before or during Family Game Night.
5.Create a tradition: Whether it's the way that teams are selected, a 30-minute bedtime extension, or having everyone play in their p.j.'s, establishing an activity on Family Game Night that becomes a family tradition will create even more excitement around game play for everyone in the family.
6. Keep a family scoreboard: From week to week, recognize the family member who won the last Family Game Night by posting their name on a special scoreboard that receives a place of honor on the refrigerator. Or, create a family crown that can be worn by the winner during the next Family Game Night.
7. Reminders: To keep the date with the family, set up reminders on a handheld device or on the family computer to make sure that game night happens. For the tech-savvy, reminders can also be sent through Evite.com or Facebook. For the kids, put a note in their lunchbox as a Family Game Night reminder.
8. Mix it up with special guests: To expand the fun, invite other families in your neighborhood to participate in a family game night tournament. If you have extended family members living in the area or if you are traveling during a scheduled Family Game Night, invite everyone to participate!
9. By having regularly scheduled Family Game Nights, families are guaranteed to create new and lasting memories. Snap a photo of special moments at each Family Game Night and place the printed photos around the house or email to relatives to share that come-from-behind win or incredibly tall Jenga tower!
10. Brainstorm for next week's family game night: As each Family Game Night winds down and clean up begins, start brainstorming for next week's event. By planning in advance for the next event, you can get a jumpstart on the preparations and raise the anticipation level for the next family game night.
Be sure to check out www.familygamenight.com for printables, such as winner certificates and a fridge poll, to add even more fun to your family game night. Also, be sure to "like" Family Game Night on Facebook (www.facebook.com/familygamenight) to gather with other game fans, share pictures, take fun game quizzes and find out about new games for your Family Game Night.
Celebrate National Family Game Night Tonight
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.