Important Recovery Information
September 8, 2008
1) FEMA Disaster Assistance - Orleans Parish is included in the disaster declaration for Hurricane Gustav. In order to be eligible for disaster assistance, you must call and register at 1-800-621-FEMA or you can register online at www.fema.gov <http://www.fema.gov/> <http://www.fema.gov/>. You will be assigned a different FEMA number than the one you were assigned after Hurricane Katrina. Please make sure you keep your receipts so that you have proof of your evacuation costs.
2) Homeowners/Renters Insurance - If you have suffered damage to your home, please make sure you file a claim with your insurance company. Many policies include a "Loss of Use" clause, and will assist you with lodging and food while you are out of your home.
3) Disaster Food Stamps - The Department of Social Services is working with the USDA to activate the Disaster Food Stamp Program and to set specific program eligibility criteria and benefits. They will begin to take applications starting on Tuesday, September 9. Call 1-888-524-3578 and press option 3 to learn specific site locations as they are established. You can also find the application online at http://www.dss.louisiana.gov/ <http://www.dss.louisiana.gov/>.
4) Disaster Unemployment Assistance - Assistance will be available to people whose jobs have been lost or interrupted because of the disaster. Those filing new Disaster Unemployment Assistance claims should call 1-866-783-5567. The call center is open from 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. seven days a week.
5) Counseling Services - Louisiana Spirit is available to talk to those who are having a hard time dealing with Hurricane Gustav and the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. In Orleans Parish, call 504-202-5015 to talk to someone and also to learn about additional resources that may be available to you.
6) Power Outages - as of this morning, Entergy New Orleans is reporting almost 100% of Orleans Parish residents have had power restored. If you are still having a problem with your power, please call 1-800-9-OUTAGE to report it to Entergy.
7) Volunteer Louisiana - If you are in need of volunteers, or would like to volunteer your time to assist disaster victims, please call the Volunteer Hotline at 1-866-286-3835 or visit www.volunteerlouisiana.gov <http://www.volunteerlouisiana.gov/>.