RSS feeds allow Web site content to be gathered via feed reader software. Click the subscribe link to obtain the feed URL for this page. The feed will update when new content appears on this page.

Greenlawn

Greenlawn
Beginnings: The community, originally called Old Fields, was included in the First Purchase of Huntington by Richard Houldbrock, Robert Williams and Daniel Whitehead from the Matinecocks in 1653. The land was initially used as pasture by settlers in Huntington, but by 1780, farm families with prominent names like Brush, Wick, Jarvis, Kissam and Whitman had settled in the area. The first commercial building was the general store built in the 1860s and owned and operated by Hezekiah Howarth. The structure still stands on Broadway.
Photo: Scene at Greenlawn (from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909)
Beginnings: The community, originally called Old Fields, was included in the First Purchase of Huntington by Richard Houldbrock, Robert Williams and Daniel Whitehead from the Matinecocks in 1653. The land was initially used as pasture by settlers in Huntington, but by 1780, farm families with prominent names like Brush, Wick, Jarvis, Kissam and Whitman had settled in the area. The first commercial building was the general store built in the 1860s and owned and operated by Hezekiah Howarth. The structure still stands on Broadway.
Photo: Scene at Greenlawn (from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909)
« Show less

Top Greenlawn Articles see all

Displaying items 0-0
No articles were found for this topic.