RSS feeds allow Web site content to be gathered via feed reader software. Click the subscribe link to obtain the feed URL for this page. The feed will update when new content appears on this page.

Laurel

Beginnings: Because it was situated midway between Aquebogue and Mattituck on the North Fork, Laurel was known for many years as Middle District. When Riverhead Town split from Southold in 1792, the new border ran through the little farming community, dividing it in half. Middle District later became Franklinville some time before residents formed their own Presbyterian church in 1831, and finally Franklinville became Laurel in 1890. The substitution may have been inspired by the area's abundance of laurel trees and bushes.
Beginnings: Because it was situated midway between Aquebogue and Mattituck on the North Fork, Laurel was known for many years as Middle District. When Riverhead Town split from Southold in 1792, the new border ran through the little farming community, dividing it in half. Middle District later became Franklinville some time before residents formed their own Presbyterian church in 1831, and finally Franklinville became Laurel in 1890. The substitution may have been inspired by the area's abundance of laurel trees and bushes. « Show less