| Aug 31, 2012
| 4:24 PM
Proposed casinos for Massachusetts and Rhode Island are not good news for Connecticut, which has come to depend on its two casino resorts for hundreds of millions of dollars yearly in state revenues, thousands of jobs and tourists galore.
On the bright...
| Sep 5, 2012
| 11:40 AM
As the summer weather begins to cool off, here are some events we've deemed "cool":
Connecticut Fashion Week: Sept. 8-15, New Haven, Bridgeport and other towns, ctfashionweek.org.
End of Summer Luau and Pig Roast: Sept. 7, The Scorpion Bar, Foxwoods...
| Sep 7, 2012
| 4:39 PM
A large chunk of Connecticut is being drawn into a new orbit: Massachusetts draws us in through gaming and transportation.
No longer willing to cede the world of casino gambling to Connecticut, the Bay State has commenced a long process to license...
| May 31, 2012
| 10:42 AM
The Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center is the largest Native American institute in the world and it's right here in Connecticut.
The state-of-the-art facility features an observation tower, a large recreation of an authentic Pequot village,...
| Jun 6, 2012
| 7:40 AM
Steel Magnolias: In the world of Truvy's local-homegrown beauty salon, six very different women come together to share their secrets, fears and love for one another while engaging the audience in hysterical and neighborly gossip. Sat., 8 p.m.,...
| Jun 8, 2012
| 8:37 AM
This Saturday marks the annual Connecticut Open House Day, where lots and lots of local museums, cultural attractions, open spaces and more open their doors for us Nutmeggers to enjoy. Here are some of the many things going on on June 9. For a full list...
| Jul 2, 2012
| 11:00 AM
Presented by Comix at the MGM Grand Theater, Foxwoods will be hosting a comedian who Rolling Stone deemed the most outrageously funny woman alive. Sarah Silverman, an emmy-award winning artist, will send Foxwoods into a fit of laughter when she hits the...
| Jul 9, 2012
| 1:35 PM
1) Legends in Concert: Elvis Presley, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Ray Charles and The Blues Brothers, $15-$40. Thurs. Fox Theater, Mashantucket.
2) Motown Review, Fri. 9:30 p.m. The Iron Frog Tavern, Simsbury.
3) 7 Bridges-The Ultimate Eagles Tribute,...
| Apr 16, 2012
| 11:50 AM
Celebrate the season by learning how Native Americans once cooked their food, and what they ate in the early spring at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum's spring harvest cooking demonstration. Seeqan Keepunumooôk, which means "spring harvest," will feature...
| Mar 7, 2012
| 11:00 AM
1) Boston Irish w/ Mike Donovan, Chrissy Kelleher, Will Noonan, $15. Wed., 8 p.m., Ends March 18. $15 Comix at Foxwoods, 39 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, (860) 312-6649, comixatfoxwoods.com.
2) Brad Williams, $15. Thu., 7:30 p.m., Fri.-Sat., 7:...
| Apr 25, 2012
| 6:20 AM
1) Stephen Haynes and Joe Morris Present "Improvisations VII," $12-$15. Thurs., 7 p.m. Real Art Ways, Hartford.
2) Counting Crows, $50-$85. Fri., 8 p.m. MGM Grand at Foxwoods, Mashantucket.
3) Mandrake Mechanism w/ Castle and Push Method, Fri., Sullys...
| Dec 18, 2012
| 12:30 PM
Many a way to celebrate the impending Mayan-foretold apocalypse this week:
Heaven or Hell-themed End of the World Party: Hosted by Steve Tefft, music by DJ JD. Dec. 21, 9 p.m., Shrine Asian Kitchen, Lounge and Nightclub, 240 MGM Grand Dr., Mashantucket,...