| Jul 18, 2013
Five most interesting teams
1. Pirates: They haven't had a winning season since 1992 but might be the best team in the majors right now. They have pitching, defense and enough hitting with Andrew McCutchen, Pedro Alvarez and Starling Marte. Manager Clint...
| Jul 8, 2013
| 8:37 PM
If Dan Haren could erase the first inning, he would’ve stopped his losing skid.
John Lannan tossed four-hit ball over eight innings against his former team, Ben Revere had three hits and the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Washington Nationals 3-2...
| Jul 8, 2013
| 6:17 PM
1. Cardinals (2): They entered last week two games behind the Pirates and ended it tied for first place in the NL Central. Played just well enough to sweep the Marlins.
2. Tigers (4): Vaunted lineup was clicking last week — 49 runs in seven...
| Jun 11, 2013
Last week's ranking in parentheses.
1. Cardinals (1): Only the Rockies can match their lineup. Nobody can match their balance, with Adam Wainwright right back where he was in 2009-10 as a Cy Young candidate.
2. Braves (4): Julio Teheran and Kris...
| Jun 4, 2013
| 6:12 PM
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo was working for White Sox scouting director Al Goldis in 1989 and was assigned to watch Auburn University in some early-season games.
He couldn't stop thinking about how much damage the first baseman could do.
| May 10, 2013
| 8:13 PM
Ian Desmond’s three hits included a two-run homer and an RBI double, and Danny Espinosa and Kurt Suzuki also drove in runs with doubles, helping the Washington Nationals beat the Chicago Cubs 7-3 for their season-high fifth consecutive victory....
| Apr 26, 2013
| 12:12 AM
Oakland Mills forward Long will join Patsos at Siena
Oakland Mills senior Lavon Long committed to Siena during an official visit Thursday. The 6-foot-6 forward signed with Loyola in November, but received a release from his letter of intent...
| Apr 23, 2013
| 8:45 PM
So Adam Wainwright finally walked a batter. Knew he would, of course.
It was one of the few blemishes for the St. Louis Cardinals right-hander Tuesday night.
After starting the season by throwing 34 2/3 innings without issuing a free pass, Wainwright...
| Apr 2, 2013
| 5:40 AM
Josh Hamilton jumped into a cab, headed to Great American Ball Park and got all nostalgic.
The Los Angeles Angels newcomer saw Cincinnati fans packed downtown and remembered making his big league debut in the same spot a while ago.
"People are lined...
| Mar 31, 2013
| 6:33 PM
In this optimistic, Opening Day episode of "How do you root for the Marlins?" we consider ESPN analyst John Kruk's answer to my question: "If I'm a fan of the Miami Marlins, I don't know if I would be a fan anymore,'' he said.
Let's offer three credible...
| Jan 19, 2013
| 2:10 PM
Will the third time be the charm for the World Baseball Classic?
Not if the underwhelming U.S. roster is any indication.
While many of Commissioner Bud Selig's innovations have enjoyed immediate success — especially expanded playoffs and...
| Jan 15, 2013
| 10:01 PM
The sting from the wrenching, bitter end of the Washington Nationals' first playoff run might have faded for some by the dead of winter, but not, apparently, for the man at the very top of the organization, not for the 87-year-old real estate tycoon who...