This just sounds wrong, doesn't it? The fact of the matter is, if you don't find funny the "man bra" reference made famous in a 2006 Seinfeld episode, then you might not be laughing for a reason. Perhaps you have excessive pectoral fat tissue, causing saggy drooping male breasts.
Why the Change of Face?
There were more than 10.2 million cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures performed in the United States in 2008, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. And nearly 2 million of these procedures were performed on men.
Men may not be getting more vain, but the $3.5 billion they're spending on male grooming products says a lot about the changing attitude toward self-image and a need to look more youthful.
Here is the breakdown of the top 10 most popular surgical and nonsurgical procedures for men, according to ASAPS:
Top Surgical Procedures
1. Liposuction: With obesity being the leading health problem in the U.S., it's not surprising that liposuction is No. 1.
2. Nose jobs, called rhinoplasty: Having a large schnoz is anything but popular among men.
3. Eyelid surgery: Guys go in with eyes wide open for this procedure, which is only slightly less prevalent than rhinoplasty.
4. Breast reduction, called gynecomastia: It's estimated that gynecomastia affects 40 to 60 percent of the male population.
5. Hair transplants: While there are many other hair options for men, this procedure is still one of the most popular.
Top Nonsurgical Procedures
1. Botox injection: This protein, which derived from botulism toxin, is injected underneath skin in order to minimize or smooth out lines and wrinkles on the face.
2. Laser hair removal: This is used the good majority of the time to laser away unwanted back hair and those pesky hairs on the nape of the neck.
3. Hyaluronic acid: This is a natural substance found in living organisms. In humans, it is used to provide volume and fullness to the skin. It is one of the support structures of the skin.
4. IPL laser treatment: This process uses intense pulsed light to gently remove unwanted hair, putting an end to routine shaving.
5. Microdermabrasion: This is a technique that helps repair facial skin that has been damaged by the sun and the effects of aging.
Other Procedures Near the Top 10: