Children playing with matches, food left unattended on the stove and electric cords buried beneath carpeting were the causes of the house fires last week that killed four children and an elderly woman in Baltimore, fire officials said Monday.
"All these things have happened in the past, and they're not being shared appropriately with everybody that's coming up," Bruce Bouch, the deputy state fire marshal, said Monday. "We need to do a better job of training and informing. ... It happens way too often."
The five deaths, as well as a sixth person killed Sunday in Western Maryland and a seventh who died Monday afternoon near