Duhon, who injured his right thumb on Monday, sat out Wednesday night's game against the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena.
The Magic plan to have their team orthopedist and a hand specialist examine Duhon, who said he will receive an X-ray and an MRI on Thursday.
"It's not going to be anything where he'll be back soon, that's for sure," Van Gundy said.
Van Gundy said that he and Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith have talked about adding another player to the roster. Not only is Duhon out, but backup shooting guard J.J. Redick now has missed 10 consecutive games with a strained muscle in his lower abdomen.
Backup small forward Quentin Richardson also has been bothered by back spasms lately, and second-string point guard Gilbert Arenas missed two games this month because of left-calf problems.
When asked about the situation, Smith didn't rule out adding another point guard to the roster if doctors determine that Duhon's injury is serious.
"I have to look at a lot of things," Smith said.
"It's not just Chris. There's J.J. There's a lot of other things that you have to consider, so it would have to make some sense. You could bring in any guy to fill a roster just to fill a roster. We have not done that in the past. I don't know if you've paid attention to Stan Van Gundy's system, but we can't just bring in a guy off the street and say, 'OK, now play in this system.' It just doesn't work that way."
The injuries to Duhon, Redick and Richardson have made it difficult for the Magic accomplish much during practices.
"Right now, it's frustrating for me," Van Gundy said. "We're just not getting anything done."
For what it's worth, Duhon said he doesn't think the injury will keep him out long.
"I'm hoping to be back by Sunday," he said.
Out againRichardson missed his third consecutive game Wednesday.
Richardson did not participate in the shootaround, which surprised Van Gundy, who had expected Richardson to be available.
"I didn't have a setback," Richardson said. "I was just planning on practicing tomorrow [Thursday] and looking at Friday [to play again]."
Statement game?The Magic and the Hawks are almost certain to face each other in the playoffs' first round.
So was Wednesday's matchup a statement game or not?
Even Hawks players, who remember how the Magic spanked them in last year's playoffs, weren't sure.
"With this being a potential first-round matchup, obviously, we want to go out and make a statement," shooting guard Joe Johnson said after the Hawks completed their shootaround.
Forward Josh Smith predicted that Wednesday's game wouldn't carry over into the postseason.
"The playoffs and the regular season are two totally different beasts," Smith said.
Layups• Jameer Nelson started at point guard for the Magic after he missed Monday's game in New York because of a sprained left knee.
• The Magic hadn't played the Hawks in Atlanta since Dec. 20, two days after Orlando added four key players and traded away four others. The Hawks won that night 91-81 in a game more lopsided than the final score indicated, and apparently it left a bad taste in Magic players' mouths. "You know, they rubbed it in a little bit," Nelson said. "They rubbed it in. They were showboating and celebrating a lot. That's one thing we do remember."
• The Atlanta Braves played exhibitions at Turner Field on Tuesday night and on Wednesday afternoon, but Van Gundy couldn't attend either event even though he is good friends with the Braves manager, Fredi Gonzalez. Van Gundy said he had too much work to do.
• Nick Buchert, one of the referees Wednesday night, introduced himself to Magic television broadcasters David Steele and Matt Guokas before tipoff. Buchert told them he was born in Orlando.
• Ryan Anderson, who has become adept at drawing charges, took another charge late in Wednesday's first quarter. Atlanta's Jamal Crawford was called for the foul.
email@example.com. Read his blog at OrlandoSentinel.com/magicblog. Subscribe to our Orlando Magic newsletter at OrlandoSentinel.com/joinus.