"I'm not even really worried about it right now or thinking about it, to be honest," Griffin said after the Clippers finished their shootaround for their game tonight against the Orlando Magic at Amway Center.
The slam-dunk contest will be held Feb. 25 at Amway Center.
Arguably the sport's most explosive leaper, and its most exciting player, Griffin won the contest title last year at Staples Center. For his final dunk, he jumped over a car as his then-teammate Baron Davis, peaking through the sun roof, passed him the ball.
Last Thursday night, Griffin indicated that he did not intend to defend his title.
"As of right now I don't plan on being in it," Griffin said, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com. "Those dunk contests aren't my thing. I said that last year. There's a lot of guys that can put on a great show and do some good stuff."
Dwight Howard, who won the dunk contest in 2008 and was the runner-up in 2009, already has said numerous times that he will not enter the event this year.
Participating in the contest takes a toll on players' legs, to be sure. Given the demands of this season's compressed, 66-game schedule, it would seem that players would have less incentive to compete in the event than in other years.
The participants in this year's dunk contest likely will be announced sometime next week.
Griffin has dunked the ball a league-high 63 times this season, according to the "NBA Dunk-O-Meter" at CBSSports.com. One of those dunks, his one-handed slam over Oklahoma City's Kendrick Perkins on Jan. 30, was a slam for the ages.
Howard has recorded 58 dunks, the second-highest total.
email@example.com. Read his blog at OrlandoSentinel.com/magicblog. Subscribe to our Orlando Magic newsletter at OrlandoSentinel.com/joinus