"I don't know what I'd write if it was all me."
A Recent Set List
When Mark Mulcahy played the Meriden Daffodil Festival on April 27, it was a wide-ranging set that spanned a quarter century of his songwriting. It's unknown what Mulcahy has planned for the Spaceland Ballroom and Iron Horse shows this month, but think of this rundown of the Daffodil appearance as a provocative teaser.
1. "She is Staggering," from Polaris' sole album Music from The Adventures of Pete & Pete.
2. "He's a Magnet," from Mulcahy's new album Mark J. Mulcahy I Love You (which had not yet been released when he played Meriden, and hit the many devoted fans there like a fresh breeze.)
3. The Quiet One, from Smile Sunset. "I love you, I love when you're quiet."
4. "She Makes the World Turn Backwards," the first song to have been released from Mark J. Mulcahy I Love You. (There's now a video for the tune, featuring the Young@Heart Chorus, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f42OyBt6Pbo).
6. "Love's the Only Thing That Shuts Me Up," from the 2007 album of the same name.
7. "Cookie Jar," the pun-filled plea for sanity ("Preserve yourself") from 2005's In Pursuit of Your Happiness.
8. "Let the Fireflies Fly Away," with the audience encouraged to make a lot of farm animal noises in the middle.
9. "I Have Patience," also from In Pursuit of Your Happiness.
10."Saturnine," from the Polaris CD.
11. "Propstar," also from In Pursuit of Your Happiness.
12. A special Daffodil Festival finale which brought Mulcahy back to his Connecticut music scene past. He and his current multi-instrumentalist Springfield-based bandmates Dave Trenholm (on saxophone for this song), Henning Ohlenbusch (on guitar) and Ken Maiuri (bass) were joined by long-ago Miracle Legion compatriots Richard "Doc Equis" Brown on guitar and Jeff Wiederschall on drums for a cover of Mister Mingo, from Miracle Legion's 1987 full-length album debut Surprise Surprise Surprise.
13. Encore: Miracle Legion's first song, "The Backyard," with the same line-up as above.