Felipe Massa

Longtime Ferrari Formula One driver Felipe Massa says he will leave the team at the end of the 2013 season. (Alexander Klein / Getty Images / September 6, 2013)

Felipe Massa said Tuesday he plans to leave Ferrari's Formula One team after this season.

The announcement, which the Brazilian driver made via Twitter and Instagram, was not unexpected. Rumors had swirled that Massa, who has struggled in recent years, and Ferrari would part ways when the season ended.

"From 2014 i [sic] will no longer be driving for Ferrari," Massa wrote. "I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together."

The 32-year-old Massa, who joined Ferrari in 2006, has 11 wins in 185 career starts. But he hasn't won a grand prix since 2008, when Massa collected six victories and finished second in the championship standings.

Massa also has only one podium, or top-three finish, through 12 races so far this season. He's been overshadowed by teammate Fernando Alonso, who's second in the standings behind reigning champion Sebastian Vettel of the Red Bull team.

There is speculation that Massa's seat at Ferrari will be filled next year by former champion Kimi Raikkonen, a former Ferrari driver who's with the Lotus team, or Nico Hulkenberg of the Sauber team.

Massa said he wants to stay in Formula One next year. "I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship," he wrote.

ALSO:

Survey of Eagles Coach Chip Kelly is brief but enlightening

SI report accuses Oklahoma State football of widespread corruption

Watch Brian Cushing's key pick-six from Houston Texans' comeback win