Two candlelight vigils will be held Sunday night to honor the two workers killed Saturday by a Bay Area Rapid Transit train.

The vigils for the workers will be at 6 p.m. at the Walnut Creek BART station and Lake Merritt Plaza in Oakland, according to Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555.

The BART employee and contract worker, whose names have not been disclosed, were investigating a possible dip in the track when they were struck and killed Saturday afternoon between the Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill stations. One was acting as a lookout while the other inspected the track, officials said.

National Transportation Safety Board officials were on site Sunday to conduct an investigation.

Transit employees went on strike Friday after a week of marathon negotiations broke down over work rules, including the length of the workday and when overtime pay should kick in. BART, the nation's fifth-largest transit system, carries about 400,000 round-trip passengers each workday.

SEIU Local 1021 and Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1555 put out a joint statement expressing their "deepest sympathies for the families of the individuals who died in this tragic accident."

ATU officials said their 900 workers would not be picketing Sunday out of respect for the victims and their families. Picketing will resume Monday, according to the union’s Twitter account.

An official with AFSCME Local 3993 confirmed that one of the workers who died was a member of its union who had crossed the picket line. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees was not on strike but had urged its members to support the other two unions, said Patricia Schuchardt, president of Local 3993.

There were a number of personnel on the train when it struck the employees, Paul Oversier, assistant general manager of operations said at a news conference Saturday. The train was returning from the Richmond yard after delivering cars that had been sprayed with graffiti at the Concord yard and needed cleaning, he said.

"This is a tragic day in BART's history," Grace Crunican, general manager of the public transit system, said in a statement released by BART. "The entire BART family is grieving."

The workers who were killed had "extensive experience" with both freight and passenger trains, the statement added.

“They understand the railroad, they understand how to work around moving trains,” Oversier said. “They were doing today what they have done 100 if not 1,000 other times in their career.”

The train was running in automatic mode with an "experienced operator" at the computer controls, officials said. BART officials did not otherwise say who was at the controls, but Associated Press reported that some trains were being moved by managers.

The two unions representing BART workers had warned of safety risks if managers were allowed to operate trains during the work stoppage.

"The managers may very well have been train operators at one time, but still it's a bit of a struggle to come up to speed on short notice," Des Patten, a spokesman for Service Employees International Union Local 1021, said in a phone interview.

A radio transmission reviewed by the Oakland Tribune captured the moments after the incident. The train operator said: "BART emergency! BART emergency to Central! We just struck some individuals [at a track location] ... Central be advised it may be BART employees." Later, he said: "Both are deceased and definitely BART employees."

The deaths are BART’s sixth and seventh worker fatalities, Oversier said. In 2008, BART inspector James Strickland, 44, was killed on the same line between the Concord and Pleasant Hill stations. Strickland was walking on the tracks and was struck from behind by a train using a shared track.

Schuchardt said the unions had raised the safety issues during the negotiations.

"It's a very unsafe situation the agency gambled with," Schuchardt said. "Had there not been a strike, there would have been a lot more safety precautions out there."

The strike, the second by BART workers in four months, produced traffic jams and frustration Friday, but officials predicted the worst was yet to come.

Transportation officials said they believed many workers telecommuted or took the day off but would be back to their desks Monday. A BART spokeswoman said the system was considering adding more charter buses, but they would accommodate only a fraction of the displaced riders. 

ALSO:

Metrolink commuter train kills cyclist in Palmdale

Jay Leno is grand marshal of 30th annual Love Ride

Giant oarfish found on California beach taken for possible study

Twitter: @Sam_Schaefer

Samantha.Schaefer@latimes.com