Recipe: Peking duck stir-fried with ginger and green onion
(Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles Times)
Peking duck stir-fried with ginger and green onion
Total time: 25 minutes
Note: This easy but elegant stir-fry is meant to save the cook time and let the duck shine. A 4-pound duck yields about 10 ounces of cooked flesh, so you'll have a little extra to tuck into your pancakes. Serve this stir-fry with rice or wrap in extra mandarin pancakes. Omit the plum sauce for a more savory finish.
1 1/2 cups (about 1/2 pound) roast Peking duck meat
2 tablespoons plum sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon light (regular) soy sauce
2 large whole green onions, cut on a steep bias into 2-inch-long pieces, each about 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons canola oil
Chubby 3/4-inch section fresh ginger, peeled and cut into slivers or fine julienne
1 rib celery, cut on the bias to match green onions but half as thick
1/2 carrot, halved lengthwise and cut to resemble celery but slightly thinner
1 heaping cup bean sprouts
1. Cut the duck meat into bite-size pieces. Set aside near the stove.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the plum sauce, rice wine and soy sauce. Set this seasoning sauce aside.
3. Separate the white and green parts of the green onion, as you'll be adding them to the stir-fry at different times. Set aside near the stove.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the ginger, and stir-fry until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Add the white onion parts and continue cooking until the ginger starts to pick up some color, about 15 seconds.
5. Add the celery, carrot, bean sprouts and a generous sprinkling of salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables have softened slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the duck and cook, continually stirring for 1 minute to heat through.
6. Add the seasoning sauce, and cook, stirring, for another minute to finish cooking the vegetables and allow the duck to absorb the flavors. Add the green sections of onion, stirring for about 15 seconds to wilt. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
Each serving: 217 calories; 15 grams protein; 8 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 13 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 50 mg. cholesterol; 5 grams sugar; 327 mg. sodium.