Recipe: Candied kumquat mojito
Candied kumquat mojito (Ken Hively, Los Angeles Times / May 22, 2013)
- Browse more than a thousand recipes from the L.A. Times test kitchen
- Opening the vault: Our best recipes
- Kumquats: How to choose, store and prepare
- Market fresh: Cooking through the seasons
- 155 recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes
- 127 wine picks by S. Irene Virbila
- Bars and Clubs
See more topics »
Total time: 20 minutes, plus macerating time
Note: From Peter Birmingham at Norman's, where the drink is made with Ron Matusalem Platino rum. Birmingham also recommends Bacardi Silver or Cruzan Estate Light rum. You'll have enough simple syrup and candied kumquats for up to 12 drinks.
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
12 kumquats, whole
1 stalk lemongrass, ends trimmed and two outer layers removed, slightly smashed with the side of a chef's knife
1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
1. Add the boiling water to the sugar. Stir to mix and dissolve the sugar, cool.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil. Blanch the kumquats for 1 minute, drain.
3. Place the sugar water, lemongrass and orange blossom water in a bowl. Add the kumquats, placing a small plate on top to submerge the kumquats. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours and up until 3 weeks.
3/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup sugar
Add the boiling water to the sugar. Stir to mix and dissolve the sugar. Cool.
6 mint leaves
3/4 ounce (5 teaspoons) simple syrup, divided
1 candied kumquat
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 ounces rum
1 tablespoon pineapple juice
1 wedge lime
Splash club soda
1. In a double old-fashioned glass, muddle the mint with one-fourth ounce (two teaspoons) simple syrup. Add the candied kumquat and muddle. Add ice to glass.
2. In a cocktail shaker, mix together the lemon and lime juices, the remaining one-half ounce (about 3 teaspoons) simple syrup, the rum and pineapple juice. Shake well. Pour into the glass, add the wedge of lime and splash of club soda.
Each serving: 200 calories; 0 protein; 19 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 0 fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 3 mg. Sodium.