Budín de elote (Corn pudding with zucchini)
The recipe for this corn pudding is from the book "Doña Tomás" by Thomas Schnetz and Dona Savitsky. (Anne Cusack / Los Angeles Times)
- Atún del diablo (Seared albacore tuna with pumpkin seed-sesame sauce and pickled red onions)
- Recipe: Queso de chiva fundido con pipián verde (Broiled goat cheese with pumpkin seed sauce)
- Browse more than a thousand recipes from the L.A. Times test kitchen
- Market fresh: Cooking through the seasons
- 155 recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes
- 127 wine picks by S. Irene Virbila
Servings: 8 to 10
Note: From "Doña Tomás" by Thomas Schnetz and Dona Savitsky
Butter for pan
3 cups fresh corn kernels (3 to 4 ears)
1 1/2 cups zucchini cut into 1/4-inch dice (3 to 4 slender zucchini)
1/3 cup flour
3 egg yolks
3 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees with a rack positioned in the center. Butter a 9-inch casserole.
2. Place the corn and zucchini in a bowl and toss with the flour to evenly cover. Spread into the casserole.
3. Wipe the bowl clean and combine the eggs and yolks and whisk briefly. Add the cream and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Pour over the vegetables.
4. Bake about 1 hour, until lightly browned on top; it should feel like a firm pillow. Allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Each of 10 servings: 342 calories; 6 grams protein; 15 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 30 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 223 mg. cholesterol; 283 mg. sodium.