PARIS -- The gilded interior of Le Grand Hotel was covered with spare, white walls for the spring 2014 Balmain show on Thursday afternoon at Paris Fashion Week, suggesting designer Olivier Rousteing might be planning to pare down the brand's ornamental style and take it in a new direction.
The look: A slightly sportier, 1990s-era feel, but still weighed down with a pirate's booty-worth of gilt.
- Paris Fashion Week spring 2014: Balmain
- Past and present collections from notable fashion houses
- More fashion week coverage
- Paris Fashion Week fall 2013: Balmain
- Paris Fashion Week: Olivier Rousteing for Balmain fall-winter 2012
- Paris Fashion Week: Nina Ricci fall 2011
- Fashion Shows
- Paris Fashion Week
See more topics »
Key pieces: Quilted denim bomber jackets with gold button details, some with gold chain details woven through. Bold, black-and-white houndstooth kimono jacket over matching miniskirt. Gingham sweatshirt with sheer sleeves. Crystal cage slit skirt. Haute overalls in black leather over crystal dusted shirt. Crystal cage slit skirt.
The verdict: Rousteing didn't gain much new ground here, and the brand needs to, if it's going to move forward.