Salon Meritage in Seal Beach Set to Reopen this Summer
Scott Dekraai's booking photo (Orange County Jail / October 19, 2012)
- PHOTOS: Victims of Seal Beach Salon Massacre Remembered
- PHOTOS: Seal Beach Salon Massacre
- Suspect in Seal Beach Salon Rampage Pleads Not Guilty
- VIDEO: Police Release 911 Recordings of Seal Beach Massacre - Brandi Hitt reports
- VIDEO: Restraining Order Filed Day Before Seal Beach Shooting- Chip Yost reports
- Scott Evans Dekraai
See more topics »
"I want to do it for the people who died and for the people of Seal Beach. And I think my husband would want me to," Fannin told the OC Register.
Fannin says the salon will undergo a complete remodel.
Fannin's husband, salon owner Randy Fannin, was killed last October along with seven other people when a gunman opened fire inside the crowded salon.
The 42-year-old Scott Dekraai was indicted last month on eight counts of murder with special circumstances and one felony count of attempted murder.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in the case, the Orange County district attorney's office said.
Dekraai is being held without bail.
Prosecutors say the disgruntled ex-husband murdered eight people, including his former wife, during the two-minute massacre.
Dekraai allegedly stormed Salon Meritage about 1:30 p.m. Oct. 12 with the intent of killing his ex-wife, Michelle Fournier, a stylist at the salon.
He wore a bulletproof vest, was armed with 3 guns and shot at "anyone close enough to hit," Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said.
He stopped to reload his weapon and continued on his deadly rampage, according to Rackauckas.
Dekraai executed his victims, shooting some in the head, others in the chest, Rackauckas said.
He allegedly shot his victims multiple times to make sure they were dead.
The victims were identified as: Scott Dekraai's ex-wife Michelle Fournier, 48; Randy Fannin, 62, the salon owner; Dave Caouette, 64; Victoria Buzzo, 54; Laura Webb, 46; Michelle Fast, 47; Lucia Bernice Kondas, 65; and Christy Wilson, 47. Caouette was shot as he sat in his Range Rover outside the salon.
Harriet Stretz, 73, the mother of one of the hairdressers, was also wounded.
Court documents show Dekraai filed for divorce in 2007.
Rackauckas said a custody battle over the couple's 8-year-old son motivated the suspect.
In May, Fournier claimed in court papers that Dekraai was mentally unstable and had threatened to kill himself or someone else at least once.
Fournier's relatives said Dekraai devoted seemingly unlimited resources to try to take custody away from his ex-wife.
The couple was in court the day before the shooting.
At that time, the judge kept custody roughly equal between the couple despite Dekraai's efforts seeking additional time with his son.
Rackauckas told KTLA that Dekraai wasn't just angry at Fournier, he was angry at the people she worked with.
"He considered the people she worked with to be her enablers," Rackauckas said.
Victim Christy Wilson went with Fournier to the hearing and testified on her behalf, according to her husband Paul.
He said his wife stood up for her friend because she thought it was the right thing to do.
The shooting is the deadliest mass killing in Orange County history.