LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (KTLA) -- Authorities in Orange County are warning the public about a possible outbreak of botulism involving birds.
Five Mallard ducks and one American Coot were admitted to the Wetlands & Wildlife Care Center (WWCC) in Huntington Beach on Monday with possible avian botulism.
Avian botulism is a paralytic and potentially fatal disease that affects birds after they ingest a botulinum toxin.
Many birds inadvertently eat spores while feeding, and the spores live in their tissues with no effect on the birds' health.
When a bird dies, however, its decaying carcass often provides conditions that botulism need to grow and produce toxin: high temperatures, protein rich material and an absence of air.
Botulism toxin is then transferred to birds by maggots and other invertebrates that feed on the decaying carcasses.
Large numbers of maggots on a bird carcass can attract live birds that then become poisoned by ingesting toxic maggots.
Avian botulism poisoning causes progressive paralysis, with affected birds losing control over their muscles so they appear weak and limp.
Symptoms include the inability to fly, followed by an inability to walk.
Eventually the bird loses control over the muscles in its neck and can't hold its head upright. Ultimately, the bird dies from drowning or suffocation.
If you notice a large number of sick birds, contact the Orange County Animal Control as soon as possible.
OC Officials Warn of Possible Bird Botulism Outbreak
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.