Gayle Anderson was live in Los Angeles at the Autry National Center for a preview of NATIONAL DAY OF THE COWBOY AND COWGIRL.
Saturday, Jul 24, 2010
Museum of the American West at Griffith Park
Admission: FREE WITH MUSEUM ADMISSION
Autry National Center
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1462
Dust off your boots and shine up your spurs! Join the museum as it pays tribute to the American cowboy on the 6th Annual National Day of the Cowboy (www.nationaldayofthecowboy.com). Sponsored in the U.S. Senate in 2005, 2006, and 2007 by Wyoming's late U.S. Senator, Craig Thomas, the National Day of the Cowboy is a day set aside for Americans to celebrate the contribution of the cowboy and cowgirl to America's culture and heritage.
The Autry encourages visitors to dress for the occasion. However, NO firearms of any kind are permitted on the property.
Entertainment and Activities:
- Reserve Mounted Sheriff's Posse on horseback throughout the day
- Chuckwagon and Blacksmithing Demonstrations from Manflo Ranch
- Bañuelos Charro Team demonstrating and teaching roping to all ages (Sponsored by Susan and John Krambeer)
- "The Gene Autry Show" television episodes in the Wells Fargo Theater
- Leather Braiding family craft activity (Sponsored by Pamella and Johnny Zamrzla / Western Pacific Roofing)
- Vaquero and Cowboy Hands-On Carts (theautry.org/exhibitions/the-cowboy) with Autry teachers and docents
- Special Docent Tours of the Autry Gun Collection in the Greg Martin Gallery
- Sean McVicker, master gun engraver
- Self-Guided Tours and Family Scavenger Hunt in the Autry galleries
- Gold Panning
"NATIONAL COWBOY DAY"
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.