The cast of "The Hobbit." (Getty Images)

The cast of "The Hobbit." (Getty Images)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (KTLA) -- Two people were treated for injuries after an explosion on the New Zealand set of "The Hobbit" Tuesday.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported firefighters had been called to the set of Peter Jackson's latest installment in the "Lord of the Rings" series Monday, though reports said there was no visible fire.

Studio reps said the explosion in one of the studio workshops at Stone Street Studios in Wellington was "minor" and that the two were taken to a local hospital and later released.

Ceris Price, a publicist for “The Hobbit,” told The Herald that the men were drilling on a statue when the explosion occured.

They have not been identified.

Filming has since resumed.