1. Eat brightly colored fruits and veggies that contain a sun protection factor. Examples: blueberries, watermelon, yellow peppers, tomatoes, and yellow summer squash.
2. Eat at super foods with SPF like cocoa and green tea. Cocoa (raw, organic, dark chocolate) contains 712 compounds, many of which are potently antioxidant and skin-protective. Green tea contains antioxidant compounds called polyphenol catechins, which protect skin cells from exposure to UVA and UVB rays
3. Avoid overexposure to the sun during intense heat. Moderation, not total avoidance is the key to reaping the benefits of the sun.
4. Wear a hat and drink plenty of water to avoid becoming overheated and exhausted.
5. If you choose to use sun block or lotion, choose a natural product that does not contain harmful ingredients that could potentially have adverse effects. Coconut oil contains an SPF of 6 and can be used along with other natural ingredients to make your own lotion.