| Sep 9, 2011
| 9:21 AM
Three people have been hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after pumping a basement that had been flooded in downtown Ellicott City.
The victims were found in West Friendship. Rescuers were called to the 12000 block of Old Frederick Road at about...
| Oct 24, 2011
| 6:15 PM
Maryland's highest court struck down Monday a key provision of state law that shielded owners of older rental housing from civil lawsuits — and potentially costly payments to victims — if they took precautions to protect children in their...
| Mar 6, 2012
| 5:09 PM
With efforts to reduce lead poisoning among children at a crossroads, Maryland lawmakers are wrestling with proposals to expand state regulation of home sales, rentals and repairs to reduce youngsters' exposure to the toxic metal.
But the biggest...
| Aug 3, 2008
Bruce E. Ivins, the late microbiologist suspected in the 2001 anthrax attacks, had attempted to poison people, and his therapist said she was "scared to death" of him, according to court testimony that emerged yesterday.
Social worker Jean C. Duley...
| Oct 24, 2013
| 3:53 PM
A mother accused of poisoning her two children in a Santa Ana motel room in September will be arraigned Friday on two felony counts of special circumstances murder, Orange County prosecutors said.
Marilyn Kay Edge, 42, of Scottsdale, Ariz., lost custody...
| Oct 15, 2013
| 10:30 AM
China is poisoning its own people and making no apparent effort to stop this.
Most people know about the unprecedented air pollution in major Chinese cities. For months, photos of Beijing and other cities obscured by the gray-brown muck have been on...
| Sep 13, 2013
Re "A united front against Exide," Sept. 10
Air-quality officials who warn of the dangers posed by Exide Technologies' battery recycling plant in Vernon caution that, while 250,000 people in nearby communities such as Boyle Heights and Huntington Park...
| Aug 17, 2013
| 10:37 PM
KOKOMO, Ind. (AP) — A central Indiana man who pleaded guilty in an alcohol poisoning case involving 2-year-old twins has been sentenced to four years in prison.
Joel O'Bannon was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in Howard Superior Court to...
| Aug 13, 2013
When Juan Anguiano fired off a tweet about a bout of food poisoning in April, he thought he might hear back from sympathetic friends or pick up a new follower.
"I wasn't expecting the city of Chicago to tweet me and ask me to file a report," said...
| Jul 24, 2013
| 8:00 AM
Want to keep your family safe? Then raise your kids in the city.
It may sound counterintuitive, but researchers found people living in densely populated urban areas in the United States are 20% less likely to die from a serious injury than people who...
| Jul 21, 2013
| 2:07 PM
A 100-year-old Wilmette woman described by co-workers at the Wilmette Public Library as an "exceptional human being" died from carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation after a fire at her home, an autopsy today found.
Opal Reifenberg died of...
| Mar 20, 2012
| 8:18 PM
When Ed Krenzelok started working at the Pittsburgh Poison Center 35 years ago, 80 percent of the calls that the center received were for accidental poisoning of children under 6.
Last year only 48 percent of the calls were about young children....