Course: main meals
This rich, creamy mac and cheese was a shoo-in for this week's "Family-Friendly" recipe series.
12 oz. whole wheat elbow macaroni
1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
12 oz. fat-free evaporated milk
8 oz. low-fat cheddar or colby cheese
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 4-quart casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.