Become a digitalPLUS subscriber. 99 for 4 weeks.

Topics

Rodney Dangerfield
Bacteria that caused flesh-eating infection more common than believed
Bacteria that caused flesh-eating infection more common than believed

The story of a 24-year-old Georgia graduate student fighting a flesh-eating disease has prompted a microbiologist with the Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System to speak out about the infection. Aimee Copeland lost most of her left leg after the flesh-eating bacteria necrotizing faciitis is believed to have entered a cut on her leg, according to the Associated Press, which reports she may also have to have her fingers amputated. The waterborne bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila is believed to have caused the infection. A South Carolina woman who gave birth to twins days ago has also become a victim of the bacteria. Lana Kuykendall is being treated at Greenville Memorial Hospital,...

Loading