| Dec 18, 2013
| 10:17 AM
If Dar Williams is not careful when she performs in Northampton the show can become a long walk down memory lane.
Williams moved to the Massachusetts city in the early '90's and lived there for 10 inspirational years.
"(I was inspired by) all of the...
| Dec 12, 2013
| 9:47 AM
There's a ton of sonic variety in the clubs this week. We've plucked out a few choice events that represent assorted walks of life throughout the state. We've got some death metal, some hip hop, a burlesque show and some local heroes too. Check it out:...
| Nov 6, 2013
| 8:15 AM
It's unsettling when you find out an album you really like isn't well-regarded by its creators.
In 2012, the Montreal-based trio Plants and Animals released The End of That, 11 tracks of frayed nerves, jangly guitars and singer Warren C. Spicer's...
| Jul 9, 2013
| 12:15 PM
8:30 p.m. July 12 at the Spaceland Ballroom, 295 Treadwell Street, Hamden. (203) 288-6400, spacelandballroom.com. With The Mountain Movers, Jounce and the Backyard Committee.
7 p.m. July 13 at the Iron Horse Music Hall, 20 Center Street,...
| Jun 24, 2013
| 1:30 PM
1) Jeff Pevar-Danny Korchmar Band with Matt Zeiner and Jon Peckman, The Hungry Tiger, 120 Charter Oak St., Manchester, (860) 649-1195. Thurs. 9 p.m., $15 VIP. thehungrytiger.com.
2) Jimkata, The Main Pub, 306 Main St., Manchester, (860) 647-1551. Fri. 9...
| Dec 28, 2011
| 10:20 AM
The crossover appeal of Enter the Haggis has grown over the years such that they can play either intimate settings like Hugh's Room in Toronto or the slightly more spacious Iron Horse Music Hall, which is where they will be for multiple shows on...
| Jan 12, 2012
| 6:35 AM
• Thursday: Stephen Haynes and Joe Morris present Improvisations IV, 7 p.m., $12-$15, Real Art Ways, Hartford; Zach Birdcall Yost, The Benedicks, Mandrake Mechanism and Details, Sully's, Hartford.
• Friday: An Indie Good Time ft. Departures,...
| Sep 4, 2012
| 9:30 AM
1) Don Ross & Brooke Miller, Bridge Street Live, 41 Bridge St., Collinsville, (860) 693-9762, Thurs. 8 p.m., $20-$30, 41bridgestreet.com.
2) Amy Helm, Iron Horse Music Hall, 20 Center St., Northampton, (413) 586-8686, Thurs. 7 p.m., $15-$18, iheg.com....
| Sep 11, 2012
| 8:20 AM
Tue., Sept. 18, The Space, 295 Treadwell St., Hamden, (203) 288-6400, thespacect.com
Wed., Sept. 19, The Iron Horse Music Hall, 20 Center St., Northampton, MA, (413) 586-8686, iheg.com
If you believe in the zeitgeist, then every era has...
| Jan 18, 2012
| 11:25 AM
Decisions, decisions: According to a press release from the band, Daughtry performs April 27 at MGM Grand at Foxwoods, which is the same night that Nickelback plays XL Center in Hartford. No word on tickets, but Foxwoods says the show hasn’t...
| Jan 26, 2012
| 8:22 AM
You’ve seen Florence and the Machine perform on awards shows, on “Saturday Night Live,” Letterman and VH1 specials, now see the acclaimed English group in person May 11 at Mohegan Sun; tickets go on sale Friday, Jan. 27, at 10 a.m. for...
| Feb 20, 2012
| 9:04 AM
Northampton’s own Winterpills released their fifth and most ambitious album, All My Lovely Goners, earlier this month. (It's now streaming on their website.) Songwriter Philip Price spoke with the Advocate by phone about what the group wanted to...