From The Aegis of Thursday, April 26, 1962:
A disturbingly large leak of propane gas had Bel Air on edge 50 years ago this week.
The news staff quoted a firefighter in the county seat saying: "Half the town was sitting on a bomb, but nobody lit the fuse!"
A tank truck parked at Dallam Place was undergoing a repair to a faulty gasket when a leak was sprung and about 100 gallons of liquefied gas was sprayed into the air. Fire and ambulance crews responded to the scene, houses were evacuated and the area was secured for about three hours to allow the gas to dissipate. Upon hitting air, the liquefied propane becomes a gas, but the gas is heavier...