Summer Savings! Get unlimited digital access for 13 weeks for $13.

Dick Foran

Electrical fires spark blackout as 1912 arrives in Catonsville

An article in the Jan. 6, 1912 edition of The Argus reported on the ominous start for the new year. The greater part of Catonsville was in total darkness Sunday night on account of the grounding of the electric current supplying the lights, caused by the heavy foggy atmosphere. The current set fire to a number of the electric light poles and to avoid further damage and any possible danger to the traveling public, the current was turned off at Avalon on the Baltimore County Water and Electric Company, from whence the current is supplied. ***** A noisy welcome was given the New Year at Catonsville. The bell in the tower of Salem Lutheran Church was rung and just as the old year died, the...