April 20 marked the 100th anniversary of Somerset County's Trinity Chapter 138 Order of the Eastern Star.
This celebration of the group's commitment toward the community took place with a luncheon at the Somerset Masonic Temple.
Special entertainment was provided by "The Chords of Praise."
With the approximetely 108 people who attended, group members, county visitors and honored guests enjoyed learning about the history of the Eastern Star's order.
Originally, the group formed in 1913 by the dedicated wives, daughters and sisters of many original Masons who sought to make positive influences on society.
The chapter's title was chosen by the Associate Matron, Sister Mary Sifford, after Somerset's Trinity Lutheran Church. The charter has been framed and presented as one of the original memories at every meeting since.
The Farmer's Bank Building in Somerset served as the first regular meeting place for the Trinity chapter for about 12 years. The charter struggled through many hardships to expand its charitable works. The members began with paying dues of $2 per year.
Along with that, the group had experienced hardships from the Grand Master of Pennsylvania, saying the men and women must segregate. As a result, the men of Trinity chapter were not able to continue to hold their membership in the order.
The members of Trinity continued to meet, however, changing their location to the A. Kent Miller Building, currently known as the Saylor Motor Company. There, the women met until 1925 until relocating yet again to the Eagle's Building on West Main Street.
Consisting of only 18 persons, the Charter rented the place for $8 per month.