The woman was sleeping in the second floor master bedroom when she woke up to the heat of an accidental fire that had started from an unattended candle, said Palatine Fire Deputy Chief William Gabrenya.
She called for help just before 4 a.m. on her way out of the burning town house in the 1400 block of North Waterbury Circle, officials said.
The woman was taken to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights for minor burns to her lower legs, according to officials. Authorities said no one else was home or was reported injured.
"It was a very dangerous situation. She was very lucky to have made it out," Gabrenya said.
The fire was contained to the second floor and attic space, although the first floor also had water and smoke damage, authorities said.
Fire officials said damage estimates are not yet known, although the woman has been displaced from her home.
No smoke detectors were found in the home and the incident does not appear suspicious, Gabrenya said.