Summer Sale! Get unlimited digital access for 13 weeks for $13.
Topics

Martin Luther King Day

Report: Grandparents tried to save children in Annapolis area mansion fire

Fire investigators on Wednesday said the owners of an Annapolis area mansion appear to have tried to save their four young grandchildren before succumbing to smoke and heat last winter during Anne Arundel County's deadliest blaze in decades. The final 43-page report on the Childs Point Road fire, released Wednesday morning, concluded the blaze started when a corroded electrical outlet in the floor ignited a Christmas tree skirt, sending flames quickly up the tree and into the rest of the house during the early-morning hours of Jan. 19. It occurred after Christmas tree lights on the dried 15-foot Fraser fir had been left on continuously for six weeks, which heated the outlet that...

Loading
74°