The young New York woman had just gotten home from rehab but couldn't wait to shoot up again. Her parents, who lived in an affluent neighborhood of Long Island's Suffolk County, found her in the shower when they heard the water running too long.
She had overdosed on heroin.
By the time Suffolk County Police Officer James Garside and a firefighter arrived and pulled her out of the bathroom, she wasn't breathing.
That's when they gave her a dose of naloxone, the go-to drug for treating heroin and painkiller overdoses.
FOR THE RECORD:
Heroin overdoses: An article in the Feb. 6 Section A about the use of the drug...