The Logan Square Farmers Market, whose future looked murky earlier this month, will go on after all, Alderman Rey Colon (35th) announced late this afternoon.
This still left open the question of whether or not the alderman would give his needed blessing for street closings and waiver requests for the market to go on.
Late this afternoon, however, Colon said he gave his OK after the formation of a new “advisory panel made up of several different stakeholders from the market.” He said he submit the needed aldermanic request for the permits and fee waivers.
"I am happy about this resolution,” Colon said Friday afternoon. “It alleviates my concerns and allows some of the stakeholders of the farmers market to have a greater voice. ... I’m very excited at the outcome.”
The market “has been operating for seven years and it has reached a point where it can continue to grow and thrive,” he said. “The market isn’t just a Logan Square asset. It’s a Chicago asset and it’s important for our neighborhood to have a healthy food source and to give our community more healthy choices.”
The Logan Square Farmers Market starts this year on June 5 in its usual spot at Milwaukee Avenue and Logan Boulevard.
Logan Square farmers market OK to go
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.