The Archbishop's Residence
Designated by the National Register of Historic Places as a structure of significance, the Archbishop's Residence, located at State Parkway and North Avenue, was built in 1885 at the direction of Archbishop Patrick A. Feehan, the first Archbishop of Chicago. The residence houses a small chapel, sitting rooms, rooms for resident priests and guests, a kitchen, and a dining room. The large building is made from red brick and has 19 chimneys. When Pope John Paul II visited Chicago in 1979, he became the first Pontiff to stay at the residence.
Image 1 of 8
A view from North Avenue of the Archbishop's Residence in 1903 at North Avenue and State Parkway in Chicago while Archbishop Quigley was resident. The image shows the front and one side of the building and side yard with a small domed structure.