For the past century and a half, Stebbins Anderson has been changing with the times.
Founded as a coal, lumber and hardware business in 1867 named the Cochrane Lumber Co., the Towson retail fixture is celebrating its 150th year of serving local customers.
In 1911, the lumber company was sold to a Mr. Stebbins and a Mr. Anderson — their first names are unknown — and the name was changed to the Stebbins Anderson Coal and Lumber Co. Inc., according to the store's website. Subsequent owners J.W. Edelen and J. Harry West shortened the name to Stebbins-Anderson Co. in 1926.
The company was purchased by Richard Powers in 1979 and was sold to current owners Ken and Bonnie Knight...