Baltimore CityBaltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS), 301 Stockholm St., Baltimore.
- The adoption fee for dogs and cats is $65; includes spaying or neutering, initial vaccinations, a mandatory adoption class and a city pet license.
- Call 410-396-4695 or go to baltimoreanimalshelter.org.
The Maryland SPCA, 3300 Falls Road, Baltimore.
- Open 1:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday; 2:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesday; and 11 am.-4:00 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday.
- Fees range from $80 for cats to $150 for purebred dogs and puppies; includes spaying or neutering, initial vaccinations and a coupon to attend a "positive pooch" class.
- Call 410-235-8826 or go to mdspca.org.
Maxwell Frye Road, Millersville.
- Open 10 a.m.-3:45 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; 10 a.m.-2:45 p.m. Saturday.
- Fees are $41 to $56 for dogs, $26 to $36 for cats; includes initial vaccinations, license and spaying or neutering.
- Call 410-222-8900 or go to www.aacounty.org/animalcontrol.
SPCA of Anne Arundel County, 1815 Bay Ridge Ave., Annapolis.
- Open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday; Wednesday and Thursday 2-7 p.m.; and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday-Sunday.
- Fees are $5 for hamsters and gerbils, $20 for guinea pigs, $45 for rabbits, $65 for mixed-breed cats, $100 for purebred cats, $110 for mixed-breed dogs, $150 for purebred dogs and puppies; includes spaying or neutering and initial vaccinations for dogs and cats.
- Call 410-268-4388 or go to aacspca.org.
- Open 2 p.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday; noon-5 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday; 2 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday; and 11 a.m.-4 p.m. weekends.
- Fees are $110 for dogs, $80 for cats and $50 for rabbits; includes spaying or neutering and initial vaccinations. - County residents pay an additional $5 for pet licenses.
- Call 410-833-8848 or go to hsbcanimals.org.
Baltimore County Animal Shelter, 13800 Manor Road, Baldwin.
- Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
- Fee is $60 for all pets; includes initial vaccinations, a county pet license, microchip, welcome-home kit and certificate worth up to $29 for spaying or neutering.
- Call 410-887-5961 or go to http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/health/diseasecontrol/animalcontrol/index.html.
Defenders of Animal Rights Inc., 14412 Old York Road, Phoenix.
- Open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday.
- Fee is $90 for dogs and cats; includes initial vaccinations, ID tag and spaying or neutering.
- Call 410-527-1466 or go to adopt-a-pet.org.
- Open 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Fees range from $70-$130 for cats, and from $80-$180 for dogs; includes initial vaccinations. Up to $150 of the fee is refunded if the pet is spayed or neutered.
- Call 410-848-4810 or 410-875-5379, or go to www.carr.org/humane.
- Open 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday; and noon-4 p.m. Sunday.
- Fees are on a sliding scale but average about $130 for dogs and $50 for cats; includes initial vaccinations, microchips, spaying or neutering, and flea/tick preventatives.
- Call 410-836-1090 or go to harfordshelter.org.
- Open 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday-Friday; 1:30 p.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. - Fees average about $85; includes spaying or neutering, licensing and initial vaccinations.
- Call 410-313-2780 or go to www.co.ho.md.us/servicesresidents_animals.htm
Animal Welfare Society of Howard County, 8556 Davis Road, Columbia.
- Open 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday and by appointment.
- Fees $140 for dogs and cats; includes initial vaccinations.
- Spaying and neutering ranges from $30 to $80- Call 410-465-4350 or go to petfinder.com/shelters/MD74.html.
PennsylvaniaAnimal Rescue Inc., 2 Heritage Farm Drive, New Freedom, Pa.
- Dogs can be seen 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Cats are kept at the cattery, open by appointment on weekends, in the Putty Hill area of Baltimore County.
- Fees range from $85 to $150; includes initial vaccinations, spaying or neutering, leash, collar, ID tags, flea/tick treatment, training advice and microchip.
- Call 717-993-3232 or go to animalrescueinc.org.
Rescue OrganizationsAllBreed Rescue & Referral (Montgomery County area), Call 301-482-2543, or go to allbreed.org
Alley Cat Rescue, Call 301-699-3946, or go to saveacat.org/
Cat Rescue of Maryland (CROM; Baltimore), Call 410-747-6595 or go to catrescueofmd.org/
Cecil County SPCA , Inc., Call 410-398-9555, or go to cecilcountyspca.org/
Humane Society of Wicomico County, Call 410-749-7603, or go to wicomicohumane.org
Montgomery County SPCA (MCSPCA), Call 301-948-4266, or go to mcspca.org/
Recycled Love, Call 410-576-0481 or go to recycledlove.org
Rude Ranch Animal Rescue (cats), Call 410-798-9559, or go to ruderanch.org/
SPCA/HS of Prince George's County, Call 301-262-5625, or go to pgspca.org/
SPCA of Anne Arundel County, Call 410) 268-4388, or go to aacspca.org/