Ardis Griffin has already received his Christmas gift this year, his family.
"I think we're gonna appreciate each other this year a little more than we ever have, I think that's the best gift right now."
Griffin and his girlfriend Dominique and their four children are alive after a file sweeps through their near Northwest side home early Wednesday.
"I think the good definitely outweighs the bad. Everybody came out alive, so I just gotta be positive," Griffin told Fox59 News.
The children were sleeping upstairs and the parents were in a first floor bedroom when the fire broke out.
"We were in the bedroom and we opened the door and the hall was engulfed in smoke. The kids came down stairs and we just all piled into the bedroom and busted out the window," Griffin explained.
The Family ran across the street to Raymond Glenn's home.
"They were screaming, saying the house is on fire... the house is on fire!," Glenn recalled.
They called 911 while Glenn cared for their cuts after escaping through the window.
The children were taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health.
Griffin says they were in stable condition being treated for smoke inhalation and cuts as of Thursday morning.
Griffin and Dominique were treated and released from Wisard Hospital.
The fast moving fire caused $75,000 in damage.
Then family lost everything, including their two dogs, Soldier and Fiona.
"It's a terrible disaster. Anytime something like this happens this close to Christmas, it's always devastating. We just hope they're gonna be alright," said Glenn.
Barnes United Methodist Church and other neighborhood churches are working together to make sure the family is getting the support they need.
"We will have a meeting to see what we can do beyond giving clothes, food and toys. We talked about what we can do as far as housing and furniture and some of the other needs the family may have," said Reverend Charles Harrison.
Meantime, Griffin says he's already grateful for the support from the community.
"Thank you to everybody that helped us and prayed for us."
There is no word yet on the cause of the fire.