Boone County is ranked No. 2; Hendricks is No. 5; Johnson is No. 13; Hancock is No. 28; Morgan is No. 42; Madison is No. 75 and Shelby is No. 77.
Here are some interesting findings according to the report:
- More people smoke in Madison County than any other county.
- Morgan and Hancock have a higher population of excessive drinkers.
- Morgan and Shelby Counties have the highest motor vehicle crash death rates.
- Madison and Shelby Counties have the highest population of adults with obesity.
- Shelby and Morgan counties have the fewest primary care physicians treating the most number of people in the metro area.
- Marion County has the highest teen birth rate and the highest number of children living in poverty.
- Madison has the highest unemployment rate and the largest number of people who are uninsured.
- Hamilton County has the most access to recreational facilities and the highest number of women getting mammogram screenings.
- Boone County has the highest high school graduation rate of 97 percent.
The study also finds that the rankings are increasingly being used by communities to help them identify challenges and take action to improve residents’ health.
Scott County in Southern Indiana was ranked No. 92, the worst in overall health.
For a closer look at other counties across the state, click here.