Fate has often worked against Michael Andretti and his family-and their hasn't been much return.

Accidents, engine failures, last 100 yard passes, its all apart of the successful racing family's sometimes haunted history at the famed oval.

Sunday was an usual chapter in the book of their open wheel careers at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, one that combines a sense of joy that is tempered by an equal sense of heartbreak.

"I do love it, but it can be so cruel to you as well, " said the Andretti Autosport owner of the Speedway. "As an owne this is probably my lowest moment ever."

Here's the odd situation that Michael finds himself in as the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500 approaches: Three of his cars are in the field-two of which did so with runs late in Sunday's Bump Day. On the opposite end, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Mike Conway are out-forced to watch the race they started in a year ago.

"I knew it was going to come down to this," said Andretti-and it came down to literally the final ticks of the clock for three of his drivers.

John Andretti was the only one on the team to squeeze into the top 24 on Saturday and Danica Patrick's strong run at 4:45 P.M. solidly put her into the field on Sunday.

Mike Conway's final hopes to make the race were dashed with a half hour left, when his third attempt to reach qualifying speed failed.

But with ten minutes to go, Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti were sitting 32nd and 33rd respectively, hoping the clock would run out with them in place. That's when Alex Lloyd threw an wrench into their plans.

in by far his best run of the weekend, Lloyd got around the track with a four-lap average of 223.957 miles an hour to put himself in the field and in the process knock Andretti out and Hunter-Reay to the bubble with just under five minutes left.

James Jakes was next in line, but waved off his attempt after failing to come close to qualifying speed, leaving the track to Andretti-who was ahead of Hunter-Reay in line.

Marco preceeded to run a 224.628 miles per hour average, putting himself in at 28 and knocking his teammate out of the field.

"I'm just lucky it worked out for my favor, I'm very fortunate," said Andretti of his last qualifying dash. "I feel terrible for my teammate."

Hunter-Reay watched it from the outside of his car when he realized that he wouldn't be able to go out on track. When the final result went up, he put his head down in frustration that he would not make his fourth consecutive Indianapolis 500.

"I can't even process this right now. It's just devastating," said Hunter-Reay of not making the field. "We struggled all month, or all week, to find speed, and it just wasn't there.

"It wasn't enough in the end."

On the other end of this odd win-loss situation was Lloyd, who enjoyed a jubilant celebration after running his four laps. The driver expressed surprise at being able to gain so much speed in the afternoon to qualify for his fourth 500 mile race.

"We found speed that we haven't found since Friday," said Lloyd of the qualifying run. "It's amazing, its absolutely amazing. I didn't believe it when we came in."