Those like me who had considered Maryland's game against Virginia a big one have got to be asking "What now?"
I believed a victory in Charlottesville was essential for the Terps to make a late-season statement.
Maryland probably needed to play its best game of the season against the Cavaliers, and instead played one of its worst -- particularly in the second half.
- Maryland Terps coverage
- Analyzing Maryland's 2013-14 men's basketball season player by player
- 2013-14 Terps basketball [Pictures]
- Maryland-Duke memories
- The most memorable games in the Maryland-Duke rivalry
- Barack Obama and first family at Terps basketball game [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Maryland Madness sights & sounds [Video]
- Video: Williams retires as Maryland basketball head coach
Coach Mark Turgeon says the team did not quit. But he said the Terps "hung our heads way too early. We’re down 18 the last media timeout we lose by 27. It’s just who we are. We don’t finish games very well."
So, where does that leave you, Coach?
When Turgeon was asked about NCAA prospects, he might have done a Jim Mora Sr., from 2001 ("Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs?").
What Turgeon actually said is that Maryland would need to win the ACC tourney to get an NCAA bid. "Let's not kid ourselves. We’ve got to win four in Atlanta,” he said.