It happens after every college basketball season -- head coaches get dismissed, new ones get hired. Those on the hot seat feel angst. Assistant coaches are quietly hopeful that their time to lead a program has arrived.
The players in this this year’s drama include Maryland assistant Scott Spinelli.
He's among those being linked -- with good reason -- to the Florida International job left vacant when Richard Pitino left for Minnesota earlier this month.
- Maryland Terps coverage
- Analyzing Maryland's 2013-14 men's basketball season player by player
- 2013-14 Terps basketball [Pictures]
- Maryland-Duke memories
- The most memorable games in the Maryland-Duke rivalry
- Barack Obama and first family at Terps basketball game [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Maryland Madness sights & sounds [Video]
- Video: Williams retires as Maryland basketball head coach
Also in the mix, according to published reports, is Florida assistant John Pelphrey. The Miami Herald speculated that VCU assistant Mike Rhoades could be a good fit at FIU, although there is no confirmation he is a candidate.
Maryland coach Mark Turgeon said Spinelli, who isn't commenting this week, is clearly ready to be a head coach. The Massachusetts native is like an understudy in a play. He knows all the lines, but he mostly watches somebody else deliver them.